Tuesday, July 17, 2012

We Interrupt This Regularly Scheduled Blah Blah Blah

Before I can talk about "Over It" today there's a couple things I wanted to talk about
I just watched a brief R (or maybe X) rated art film starring Shia Labeouf.  It was about humanity on drugs, about things that make us tick and the great pain we cause ourselves.  It's definitely an adult work, and it's not for the faint of heart.  Also, it's heartbreaking.  In my mind it also cements Mr. Labeouf as a splendid actor who's been relegated to stupid roles for the better part of ten years.  If you're a full-blown adult and won't be totally put off by some nudity and sensual content (presented not as candy to the viewer, but starkly), I do recommend you find the piece and view it.  If you're not an adult, or if nudity, drug metaphors, and violence are too much for you to handle, let it be.

On a happier note, I just stumbled on a new Missy Higgins album and am rediscovering my love for her music at the moment.  That means I'm a little distracted from my Relient K-based bloggery but I'll be getting to "Over It" in due time today.

It's funny, because I started up my computer today intending to jump right into Talas Ke and get some work done on that.  I'm not ashamed of what the internet presented to me instead, but I think it's a question of self-control that bifurcates my consumptive and productive habits.  Ah, well.

"Ah, sirs.  Is there none other grace with you?  Then keep yourself."  That, too, is funny, in the same way, because the littlest things can remind me of the strangest others.  That line is stated by Launcelot in T.H. White's The Once and Future King, before he battles his way out of the Queen's bedchambers.  The line is totally badaxe.  It's also distressing, because of the whole complicated, depressing thing with the King, Queen, and Knight in the Arthurian legend.  In a lot of ways, I based a character (named Lenn) from the manuscript I wrote in my last semester of college on the sort of tragic knot that holds Launcelot together in The Once and Future King.  Lenn's tragic knot is much different than Lance's, but not so far to be unfamiliar.  To be honest, White's great retelling influenced a lot in the novel I'm calling "The Faeries' Game," but I won't get too far into it.  Depending on how things go in the next few months, you might be hearing more about that book.

So I'm actually gonna do two blog posts today.  This is the end of the first one.  Catch ya later today!


No comments:

Followers