Monday, May 7, 2012

Not Blogging is Out of the Question

I've started reading more bloggers in the last year or so, and that's really the reason I get hankerings for blogging myself.  If I didn't read the relatively common updates of these other writers on the web, I don't think I'd have the motivation to try my own hand at it.  And in the end I'm digging in because I see potential for connections and other opportunities waiting in the "blogosphere."  

I read just about every post Ravious puts up, and this last one is actually the inspiration for me mentioning this at all today.  If you read it, then you might identify me as one of those "city slickers."  I don't have very many connections, and I'm not all that consistent.  I'm just hitting the trail, in his words.  But his post encourages me to try and reach out, if I can.  Now that school's about done (once again I graduate on Saturday!! D:) and I'm about to crash-land onto the jobs market, scrambling for tidbits amidst the wreckage, I might have more time to devote to blogging and writing in general.  I think it probably defeats the purpose if I don't, considering I'm getting a writing degree and I want to spend my whole life writing about things.

I said early on in this endeavor that I might talk about Guild Wars 2 a lot.  Honestly, I don't think I have.  There's an ambition in the back of my head for writing about the game every day, but what I think stops me (more than avoiding total obsession) is the fear of saying something someone else has already said.  There's already fantastic bloggers out there who are talking about GW2, like Ravious who I mentioned above.  Greibach's not bad either.  There's also huge community forums like Guild Wars 2 Guru, where hundreds to thousands of members gather to exchange news and discuss the finer (or more insipid) points of the game.  I have spent an inordinate amount of my time in the last couple years just reading what everyone else has had to say on the matter.

There are some things I've got in mind that might bloom around GW2's release, and I debate whether to divulge the ideas to get feedback on it or make it a surprise.  Either way, if I'm gonna try and become a sort of GW2 blogger it'll be on my own special snowflake terms.

I don't necessarily want to make Guild Wars 2 the main thing I blog about, either.  I've got maybe a dozen writing ideas dancing around in my head on any given day, and at least a few pertain to blogs.  There's my fiction/poetry blog where I first attempted scheduled updates, and my philosophical blog that I tried to frame entirely in socratic questions, and I'm not entirely shy of the idea of starting more.  For one thing, not everybody's gonna be interested in everything I have to say.  Some of the people who read this blog appreciate my commentary on Kid Icarus more than my discussion of my spiritual life, for example.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I've no intention of giving up anytime soon, and blog posts like Ravious's "Cowboy Up" only serve to fire me up.  Color me ready to ride.

Maybe that means I should try to make my closing statements less noncommital?

-shrugs-

No comments:

Followers