Saturday, June 23, 2012

Camper Pies and Tangents

We cooked out today.  It was awesome.  And delicious.  If you've never had camper pie, you're missing out.  Go buy an iron, a loaf of bread, and pizza-making stuff, then start a fire and do things.  Delicious things.

We also watched the season finale of Legend of Korra.  It was excellent.  If you haven't watched that show, watch it.  All of it.  It's only about twelve episodes.  It gave me emotions.

Not that I didn't have emotions before, but I felt things because of it.

I seem to run out of time a lot lately.  That and inspiration.  And it's hard to force it when there's people over and I'm spending time with them.

I have a father and an uncle who are pretty good at the piano, and we have a grand piano sitting in the main room of the house.  It gets all jazzy and/or classical up in here pretty much every day.  That is a beautiful thing.  If you don't have a grand piano sitting in your living room (for us it's the "music room") then I am sorry.  You're missing out.

Talking about that makes me think about the sort of place I'd like to have when I have one of my own.  An office would be nice.  Someplace I can go that tells people automatically that I'm unavailable, which also separates me from the sights and sounds.  If I had to do my music stuff in there too that'd be all right.  Part of my problem is that when I get access to an office, I need to train myself to use it properly.


What do "normal people" prefer for their living spaces these days?  What would you like to have? Is wanting stuff from your space an entitled outlook?  I mean, if I had everything stripped away from me, would it be reasonable at all to want an office?

That brings me back to a question I think about a lot.  It's ironic that I'm talking about this on a blog going out on the internet on my expensive computing device, but there's this thing about society that I have.  I don't like it.  I mean, I like my conveniences, but there are a lot of things about the way we Westerners live our lives that really bother me.

Culture, man.

But I'll refrain from my rant about it and get down to my trouble.  I'm a writer, and the writing I'm trained in involves keyboards and pixels, rather than ink and quills, or verse to help me (and my listeners) remember it.  My education could potentially mean nothing in a world thrown back many years.  Also, the subject material I like to dig into—fantasy, primarily—would possibly be meaningless to the people at that point.

When I think about that, it makes me think I should spend more time trying to tell stories I've experienced directly, so I can relate to more than just my fellow geeks.  I don't even relate to the geeks all that well sometimes, because I stubbornly refuse to take part in some of the culture.

People are very, very complicated.  We're real.  Even the fakers.  And there's so many of us, too.  Like, billions.  We don't even all speak the same language.  It'd take a set of brains very differently wired to have seven billion people who were all capable of speaking the same language.

Have I ever talked on here about how fascinating language is?  Humans are wired for language, uniquely.  You have to go out of your way to keep a person from learning to speak a language.  It's a connection thing.  Oh yeah, I have ranted about this, haven't I?

It's the whole language thing that keeps me from despairing of my career choice.  I just have to try to keep on top of things.  Easier said than done.

Idioms man.  They're the thing.

I keep waffling, here.  I could start going on and on about things I'm interested in, or I could say a couple things and call it good.  What I ought to do is think of a subject beforehand to talk about.

Psh! What?  Premeditation?

Whatever.

No comments:

Followers