Saturday, June 16, 2012

Games

Have you ever played Clue?  It's a game of intrigue, and though I think many people (including, sometimes, myself) pass it off as a children's game, it's quite engaging when you get into it.  You see, it requires you to use powers of logic and deduction in order to solve a puzzle before your competitors.  I don't tend to like board games, and in that vein I tend to refuse to play Clue when called upon, but if I can be convinced to play I have to admit I rather enjoy Clue.  I like puzzles more than I care to admit.

What I don't like are pure games of chance.  Yahtzee, then, doesn't appeal to me much at all.  This is especially true when I'm playing games in groups.  I don't find games of chance to be good opportunities to engage with fellow human beings.

I've been playing Clash of the Olympians, which is a game made by the same developers as Kingdom Rush.  It's a fun game, a well-animated flash castle-defender with the choice to play as Heracles, Achilles, or Perseus, defending against satyrs, gorgons, harpies, succubi, cyclops, griffons, minotaurs, and some sort of goblins.  As Hercules you're hurling hilarious things, as Achilles spears, and as Perseus you fire arrows.

It's addictive, which is good for a flash game.  Part of this is that the final levels are very difficult, and it often requires you to complete difficult mini-tasks in the earlier stages.  So it requires a near-perfect performance from you.  Oh man, games that stoke my perfectionism gather my time and attention like industrial-strength electromagnets.  Repetitive tasks to receive a prize?  Meh.  Repetitive tasks that must be executed with perfect efficiency to succeed and receive the prize?

Whoa wait, it's Saturday already?  Hold on, I just need to try this stage a couple more times.

To give up is to admit you don't have what it takes.  That kind of failure is not an option.  And succeeding?  So.  Very.  Gratifying.

Well, I guess that's one way to demonstrate to y'all that I'm a gamer.  There you go.

-shrugs-

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Clue is easily the BEST board game. I once found an expanded version with more rooms and murder weapons, but for some reason I can't find it anymore.

Followers