Thursday, June 21, 2012

It's a Ramble

Okay, forget what I said yesterday.  Problem Sleuth was awesome.  And comparatively short when sized up with Homestuck.  In some ways it seemed even more game-like than Homestuck, in that there are bosses with health meters and everything.  A lot.  To go along with that, I will say once more that I think I understand a lot more references (in-jokes) in Homestuck than I did before.

I find myself wanting to work in a world, which is a good thing.  It's only that I already spent a lot of time being anti-social today (see reading most of Problem Sleuth), so I don't think I should lock myself away and start writing.  So maybe I'll boot up my tablet and try to work on some comic-style Hearthstead stuff.  That'll be fun?

Is it a trapping of my generation to want to nerd/fanboy out frequently?  This question came out of nowhere (ish) just now, and is totally not premeditated.  But I'm in earnest.  I mean, people got obsessed before the 90's obviously, but was there ever so much story, and so much esteem for the "awesome," that one could make partaking of the storm of stories their lifelong occupation and only really tap the surface?  How does one judge the value of a story?  What does "unique" mean in light of it?

There is a certain kind of consumer whom I cannot understand.  It is the person who can only just stand fiction, so by extension finds any sort of story that stretches the fabric of reality, or of "society," or anything else short of strict realism to be childish and inane, and worth nothing but dismissal as so much dross.  This sort of person exists, and I do not know that—one such individual being revealed to me—we could ever have useful dialogue together.  The rigors of science, the cold brutal reality of reality, these bore me.  And honestly I have to check my apathy about the stories of the real world because actual life is more important than the stuff I make up to amuse myself.  But it's easier to generalize about life and the real world and retreat to somewhere else a little less painful.

That's the other thing.  When realistic fiction doesn't bore me and actually succeeds in impelling emotion, it's a rush of depressing truth.

For a Christian, I'm kind of a downer.  But yeah, I'm not exactly in a season where I particularly feel like anyone's listening to messages about the savior of this world we made terrible.  That bears thinking about, when I'm not busy thinking about my writing, or trying to figure out how to get a job, or what not.

Yeah, I need a paradigm shift.

Speaking of, what happened to that band from my high school?  Did they all break up and become atheists or something?  I mean, it was kind of a cool band.  There was a song about Gollum and wanting/needing the Precious.  Wow I'm apparently not in the best mood today.  Sorry about that, I guess.

Naps are good things.  There seem to be cycles.  You see, little kids take them until they're not little anymore, then they start doing them again when puberty hits, and then stop during the age when they never sleep (mid-adolescence), then once you're an adult you start loving to take them again.  Or at least that's my experience/observation.

I wish there were things like Kickstarters to have reading funds.  Because, you know, I don't really have a disposable income (let alone disposable time) to read all the things I want to read.

That disposable income thing means I need a job.

Job.  Job.  Job.

Job job.

Jobbery boj.

Okay, um...

Good night.

No comments:

Followers